Wedgwood etruria barlaston dating inundating synonyms
The convergence of roads on the north-west, southwest and east sides of the town and the pattern of property boundaries suggest that the medieval town may have had a hard boundary, perhaps an earth bank pierced with gates. 24) was presumably a road leading to Dieulacres abbey in the Middle Ages.
The enlarged urban district had a population of 19,356 in 1951, 19,182 in 1961, and 19,452 in 1971.
In the eastern part the rock is sandstone of the Millstone Grit series. 11) In 1327 eight people were assessed for tax in Leek 'cum membris' and 14 in Lowe, while in 1333 there were 33 in both combined. 12) In 1666 the number assessed for hearth tax was 76 in Leek and 17 in Lowe hamlet. 13) The population of Leek and Lowe township was 3,489 in 1801 and 3,703 in 1811.
There is Boulder Clay over the rock in the Ball Haye Green area and alluvium along the Churnet. It rose to 4,855 in 1821 and 6,374 in 1831 and then grew steadily to reach 12,760 in 1891. 14) The population of the urban district in 1901 was 15,484 and of the civil parish of Lowe 176.
The detached portion at Poolend is treated in the article on Leekfrith, and that at Blackshaw Moor in the article on Tittesworth. (152 m.) in the flat valley bottoms of the Churnet and Leek brook to 800 ft. The plateau is linked to the higher ground on the east by a broad col from which the ground rises to the small hill occupied by the medieval town. Edward's church stands at the highest point, 649 ft.
The boundary of Leek and Lowe township was formed by various watercourses except on the north-east: the Churnet on the north-west and west, Leek brook on the south, Kniveden brook, so named by the early 13th century, (fn. (198 m.), with a steep slope on the north down to Ball Haye brook.35) and the spring is now called as Lady o' th' Dale well. Within living memory the water was used by local people for healing purposes, and there was also a May Day procession to the site by children from St. At the beginning of the 17th century the town was noted for its market, which in the 1670s was one of the three most important in Staffordshire.